23 March 2010

Judging the Royal easter Show 2010


I was honoured to accept an invitation to judge the patchwork and quilting section of the 2010 Easter Show. Tuesday 23 March was the day, what a slick, organised, friendly and professional day it was.
After arriving one hour early, I sat in my car and caught up with Mummy's quilting (committee) life for half an hour. Then in I went.
How calm, how organised, a tea? yes please. Then my two allocated stewards (lovely ladies) led me to our judging area. We had 7 sections within the category, including two junior categories.
I was particularly impressed with the junior categories. It was an honour to bestow a Standard of Excellence to the under 12-year-old 1st place winner - that quilt will hang in a special place.
There was less than 100 items entered, and the work was fabulous.
After my day there I have a new respect for the items entered for judging and encourage you all to consider entering your quilts/wall-hangings/quilted items next year.
The prizes are not of the type of the annual guild shows, although some do include cash, but the shear act of participating and sharing, and in turn encouraging, is valuable.
This year the Show organisers have mindfully encouraged the patchwork and quilting inclusions, to the extent of offering a special display area to the NSW guild.
If you are planning a day out to this year's Royal Easter Show, make sure you visit the Creative Arts Halls. I'm sure you will come away impressed and motivated - I did.

xdls


No comments:

Post a Comment